Monday, April 13, 2009

"Life is silly and unpleasant."

A quote from a friend of mine at another forum. Excessively negative? No, not necessarily. Let's see what Laozi has to say on the matter:

"If you are disgraced, be willing to accept it.
Accept misfortune as the human condition."

And...

"Other people are happy, enjoying the feasts and rituals of the world.
In spring some go to the park, and climb the terrace,
But I alone am drifting, not knowing where I am.
Like a newborn baby before it learns to smile,
I am alone, without a place to go.
Others have more food than they need, but I alone have nothing.
I am a fool. Oh, yes! I am confused.
Others are clear and bright,
But I alone am dim and weak.
Others are sharp and clever,
But I alone am dull and stupid.
Yes, I drift like the waves of the sea,
Without direction, like the restless wind.
Everyone else is busy,
But I alone am aimless and depressed.
I am different.
I am nourished by the great mother."

These excerpts from the Tao Te Ching (chapters 13 and 20) illustrate a common theme in Taoism - although it is generally a "positive" approach to life, it is also realistic. Life is not an unending parade of delights. Rather, for the thinking person, life can often be confusing, lonely, difficult, and depressing.

And yet, "I am nourished by the great mother," so it is possible to go on. There is a subtle spiritual dimension to life which is opposed to the superficial conventions of this world. A person of conscience will face many challenges and confusions, but he or she is sustained by a deeper consciousness.

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff,
    Like the combination of Eastern thought with anti-capitalist dissidence.
    Intellectual but not dry.
    Hope to read more.

    ReplyDelete